Sunday, January 1

The Quest


“When you go, your way shall be opened
up before you step by step.”
(Prov. 4:12 free translation)

Henry Clay Trumbull once said, “The Lord never builds a bridge of faith except under the feet of the faith-filled traveler. If He builds the bridge a rod ahead, it would not be a bridge of faith. That which is of sight is not of faith.”

I seem to be reminded of movies lately. The above scripture and statement remind me of the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, as Indy (Harrison Ford) and his father (Sean Connery) are on a quest for the Holy Grail, the chalice of Christ, believed to contain healing power and everlasting life.

In Professor Henry Jones, Sr.’s journal, his notes to locate the chalice contain coded instructions and three challenges...

*Challenge one: the Breath of God: Only the penitent man will pass.
*Challenge two: the Word of God: Only in the footsteps of God will he proceed.
*Challenge three: the Path of God: Only in the leap from the lion’s head will he prove his worth.

In his quest, “Junior” makes it through challenges one and two and comes to challenge three. Indy stands on a ledge in a small opening in the rock, just big enough to squeeze through. Beyond that is a great abyss, a 100 foot drop to the rocks below and 100 feet across to the other side, a rough, stony cliff wall. He can see nowhere to cross.

Indy looks down into the grail diary and agonizes over what it is asking him to do. Standing on the ledge, he ponders how to span the great chasm, repeating the instructions, “Only in the leap from the lion’s head will he prove his worth.” Looking around, he notices inscribed into the rock above his head is the head of a lion.

Flashing back to Indy’s father, Henry calls out to his son, “You must believe, boy. You must...believe.”

Indy realizes, “It’s... a leap of faith. Oh, God.”

Even though he is petrified he will fall to his death, he slowly raises one foot and cautiously steps out into thin air…only to be surprised that a bridge is under his foot. Totally relieved, he safely passes to the other side.

I’ve always loved that part of the movie. It so reminds me that only when we step out in faith into the unknown does God place that solid Rock-bridge beneath our feet.

As we go on our quest through the New Year, we will...

*pass on when we are penitent to the breath of God
*proceed in the footsteps of God when we follow the Word of God
*prove our worth when we leap away from the lion’s head and continue on the path of God in faith.

Think about that. No, it isn’t always easy. We will all encounter frightening Indy-circumstances at one time or another during the year. Each situation we face will be bridged, for the ordained way has already been given to us. Christ is our bridge. Always.

How much faith will you have to step out onto the Bridge in the New Year? Stretch out that foot and put one in front of the other. Walk with faith on your quest through the year.

Just as Indy, we step out in faith for each day’s quest. As Paul said, “Our life is lived by faith. We do not live by what we see in front of us.” (2 Cor. 5:7 NLV) Therefore, as Jesus said, “According to your faith let it be to you.” (Matt. 9:29 NKJV)

May the Lord bless your New Year with faith, hope, joy, peace, and all that you need!



This post is part of the monthly blog chain at Christian Writers. This month’s topic is quest. Please visit the great posts of the month listed in the right sidebar.

Share/Save/Bookmark
39 Responses
  1. chris Says:

    Lynn, that was beautiful and a very special post for me, you'll have to read my post tomorrow to fully understand why :)


  2. Terra Says:

    Lynn, I love leaps of faith and thanks for this post.


  3. Bill Jones Says:

    Thanks Lynn - excellent post for quest and the New Year.
    Interestingly, the word verification below is "poodared" - I thought of "Pooh dared" and wondered what leap of faith he might take this year?


  4. Jack Brown Says:

    thank you Lynn just what I needed this morning
    biiiiiig hug


  5. Great post! As always...


  6. E. G. Lewis Says:

    It always amazes me the way people can find these theological moments in movies and TV shows. I just veg-out and let them entertain me. ;o)
    Peace and Blessings


  7. Tracy Krauss Says:

    This was an excellent way to start off the New Year! thanks and blessings. may your quest be fruitful in 2012


  8. Smiley Says:

    Lynn, I love this! Would you give me permission to share this on my blog some time soon?

    Blessings in this new year!

    Love, Anna


  9. Scribbler Says:

    Interesting how, once in a while, a secular movie will show a truth. Those moments are great.
    Ann Gaylia


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Chris, makes my heart happy to know it was special for you. I look forward to reading your. Blessings to you!


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Terra! Hope you had a great Christmas. Thanks so much for your kind words. Blessings to you in the New Year!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Too funny! Thanks for the giggle and for your kind comment. I deeply appreciate it. Blessings to you!


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Jacky! So glad it was useful to you. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. New Year's blessings to you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, Debra! That means a lot. So glad you stopped by. Blessings to you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL EG, you're probably better off just being entertained! My noggin is always cogitating! New Year's blessings to you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Tracy, for your kind comment and the New Year's blessings. I appreciate your visit. New Year's blessings to you!


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Anna, thank you! I'm honored. Please, share away! Blessings to you!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Scribbler, so true! I love those moments. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. Blessings to you!


  19. lynnmosher Says:

    Anna, please let me know your link. Would love to visit your site. Thanks!


  20. Nancy Says:

    I can't tell you how many times I have watched that movie with my husband and how every time that moment he steps out grips me......Such a lesson for me to take that step and allow God to show His faithfulness....

    Thank you so much for this post. It was a blessings to me..


  21. Anonymous Says:

    Beautifully written! Your post describes exactly the stuff of faith: Do we truly believe God that we would step out on faith based on His promises and not what we see?

    I pray that someday, I'll leap without even having to pep-talk myself. I want to trust God so absolutely that disobedience doesn't even cross my mind.

    Many blessings to you and your ministry this year!


  22. Traci B Says:

    That scene is my favorite part of any Indiana Jones movie because of how directly it speaks to my walk with God. Thanks for refreshing it in my mind and for reminding me that as I continue to walk the unseen bridge, God is with me the whole way. :)


  23. Thank you, Lynn for getting us started in the new year on the right foot. I love that scene, too.


  24. C.H. Dyer Says:

    Lynn, Excellent reminder and visual story for walking by faith. Loved it!
    C.H.


  25. Yes, Christ is my bridge! I love this. Unfortunately I've only seen Temple of Doom, but I can clearly picture what you're talking about. Love love love it!


  26. Unknown Says:

    Indiana Jones movies are some of my favorites! The scene you described is also one of my fav's. I love history and discovering how people through the ages have thought of and sought God. The bridge scene sums up the totality of faith- "we walk by faith and not by sight" so stepping out into the unknown is a true act of faith, knowing in our heart that God has made a way.

    Thank you for kicking off our "Quest" month in such a wonderful way!!


  27. Oh, Lynn...love this! Especially these words: "*pass on when we are penitent to the breath of God
    *proceed in the footsteps of God when we follow the Word of God
    *prove our worth when we leap away from the lion’s head and continue on the path of God in faith."

    I need to write those on my heart and hang them on my mirror. Bless you!


  28. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh...my...gosh! I am so behind! All you dear ones have left such wonderful comments. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You all so bless me. May the Lord bless all of you!


  29. I could totally relate to this, Lynn. Thank you so much for posting.


  30. Samuel Choy Says:

    Hi, Lynn. Sorry I'm getting around to this so late. I loved he Indiana Jones imagery. He made a leap of faith, not knowing the way was made for him long before. In the same way, God wants us to step out in faith, and He has made the way for us, even though we can't see it?


  31. Anonymous Says:

    I've used this scene in my teaching for years. To my mind, it's the best illustration of real faith available--mostly because of the clear delineation between faith and feelings. When Indy first realizes that he has to make the "leap," he sags in discouragement. Then he places his hand on his heart, trying to manufacture a strong enough "sense" of faith . . . but then his shoulders droop again. He doesn't feel strong enough.

    Yet he steps out anyway. That's it. That's the moment of real faith. (And wouldn't he have looked ridiculous if the shot had been filmed from below the bridge--so that the audience knew it was there all along? All that psyching himself up for no reason at all.

    Great moment, and a great illustration, from a great quest, given back to us by a great writer. You're the best, Lynn.


  32. Scott Fields Says:

    That last comment was me. Guess I had a momentary desire to be that guy who writes all the cool poems. . . .


  33. lynnmosher Says:

    Deborah, forgive me. I must have missed the email for your comment. Thank you so much for stopping by. I deeply appreciate your comment. Blessings to you!


  34. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Thanks so much, Scott! I love the additions in your comment. Wish I'd used them! I so appreciate your stopping by. Bless you!


  35. You've just written about my favourite Indy movie Lyn, and brought three great challenges for the new year out of it.

    Thankyou for sharing this.


  36. Keith Wallis Says:

    I'm not good at stepping into the 'abyss'. So God often pushes me off the ledge ! Great post.


  37. Unknown Says:

    Awesome! Lynn, thank you so much for this great and timely reminder. :) I love that part of the movie, too, and can completely agonize along with "Junior" as he must gird himself for that leap of faith....


  38. MGalloway Says:

    Nice! It seems like some of the biggest (and best) surprises can occur when one takes that simple leap of faith.


  39. lynnmosher Says:

    I've missed thanking a few of you. Sam, Anonymous, Adam, Keith, Nona, and Mike, I didn't mean to overlook you. Thank you so much for taking time to read my post and comment. I appreciate each and every one of you. Bless you!