Tuesday, January 31

To Leap or Not to Leap?

Standing on the edge, swimmies snug on the arms.
Ready, set, JUMP!
Caught by Dad.
Paddle to the edge.
Climb the ladder.
Stand on the edge again.
Ready, set, JUMP!

Those were the days when the kids were very young and we took them swimming. They loved to leap from the side of the pool and be caught.

But let’s back up a bit. Did they love jumping in at first? No way! In fact, they were quite apprehensive, even frightened. But with trust in their father, they leaped, recognizing the safety of his open arms, and their fears dissipated.

What about us? Are we ready to take a leap off that spiritual edge into the scary unknown of obeying some command or new action given by the Lord? Or do we believe it to be so difficult that we talk ourselves out of obedience?

Do we permit our past to shove us into the back of the closet of self-preservation? Do we accept the attempts of the Ol’ Fear-monger to paralyze us with fear, immobilizing us in our present?

We always have a choice. To get started in whatever task the Lord calls us to do, we must choose to overcome what holds us back and take that step or leap of faith.

However, the Lord never gives us courage for that first step. He leaves that initial decision up to us. He may nudge us a little, but we have to take that first step of faith, or leap of faith, as the case may be. Just as those down through the ages have done.

Noah stepped out in total faith. Actually, he took a giant leap! Build a what? Because it’s going to do what? What is rain? And what’s a cubit? Did others laugh at him? I’m most certain they did.

Has God led you to do something so outrageous that it appears ridiculous to you? Stepping out may seem laughable to you but it will cost you, and possibly others, dearly if you do not obey.

Did it seem impossible to the Israelites when they were hemmed in on all sides, the enemy’s rattling chariots closing in behind them, the mountain heights looming on either side of them, and the sea’s heaving waves in front of them?

No way out. Beyond the bounds of possibility, right? Has God asked you to do something that seems hopeless to accomplish? He will make a way, you know.

And there’s always Abraham. Obeying the Lord by leaving where he lived and going to an unknown land. “By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he dwelt in the land of promise.” (Heb. 11:8-9a NKJV)

Not even knowing where he was going! But to activate that promise of God, Abraham placed one foot in front of the other. In my quirky mind, I hear the words to the song in the cartoon Santa Claus is Coming to Town...
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door
Has God been nudging you to do something but you’ve hesitated? If you are apprehensive, even frightened to take that first step or leap of faith, trust in your Father, take the plunge, recognize the safety of His open arms, and your fears will dissipate.

To leap or not to leap? Go ahead! Take the leap! See what happens!



Share/Save/Bookmark
44 Responses
  1. Jack Brown Says:

    great post.
    what have we to fear? Dad will catch us when we Leap.
    biiiiig hug


  2. Pegg Thomas Says:

    Good thoughts, Lynn, as always! I remember I dad catching me in the pool. Those were the days. :)


  3. The day before my post I was thwarted in almost each task I tried for work and for writing. Still I felt the need to nudge forward with God's help.


  4. Thank you, Lynn for the nudge toward the end of the diving board.


  5. This is sooo true. We must depend on the Lord for all things. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful reminder. :)


  6. Unknown Says:

    My biggest leap off the edge was when I packed up and moved from my home state of Oregon to Washington. I would write more about it, but this might be my post for this month's subject on WordObsession. :) Suffice it to say that God knows the desires of our heart, and He is just waiting for us to leap into His arms so He can guide us toward them.


  7. How absolutely wonderful! You have touched the heartstrings of my soul with this. God has called me time and again to take that leap of faith and trust that HE will uphold me in life.

    And, you quoted one of my favorite childhood songs!

    God bless. :)


  8. E. G. Lewis Says:

    Wonderful post. I especially love that Rockwell painting of the kid hugging the diving board. Boy, do I know that feeling.
    Peace and Blessings.


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen, Jack! Amen! Thanks so much for stopping by! Bless you!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Those were the days, weren't they, Pegg? Loved it! Thanks for making my heart happy! Blessings to you!


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Chris, I know that kind of day as well! A {sigh} day! LOL But praise the Lord, He's always there! Thanks so much for taking time to read and comment. Bless you!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL You're welcome, Carol! Bless you!


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Suzette, thanks so much for visiting. I deeply appreciate your comment. Bless you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow, Nona! I'm sure it was hard to follow the Lord's leading and move. Will have to watch for your post. Thanks so much for stopping by. Blessings to you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL So glad to know someone else loves that song, Michael! It so blesses me to know my post touched your heart. I am humbled. Thanks so much for letting me know. Blessings to you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Isn't that a great painting, EG? Loved Rockwell's work. I know those days as well. Thanks so much for visiting. Bless you!


  17. This a wonderful post. Wise words. Thank you for sharing.


  18. chris Says:

    Great stuff Lynn. I am living a leap of faith, like that first leap off the side of the pool. Scary... until we trust in Him :)


  19. Thank you for this post Lynn. It was very interesting what you said about God not giving us the courage for the first step because that's where we have to make the hard choice. It's never easy but as you say, we need to recognise the safety of his waiting arms.


  20. P. Creeden Says:

    Love the picture, and what a great analogy! Awesome as always Lynn!


  21. Keith Wallis Says:

    the 'pool' analogy doesn't work for me - as a kid I used to hate swimming and even now I panic if my feet can't touch the ground - waht a wimp !


  22. 2 1/2 years ago, God told us to take a leap - it took us out of our comfort zone. People would say, "But your house hasn't sold." We said, "But He said, 'Now.'" It was a tough 2 years - but He protected us, carried us every step of the way - and then He brought us "home" again - to that house that never sold. Powerful Post, Lynn!


  23. MGalloway Says:

    Encouraging post...it's amazing to think Noah and his family probably endured years and years of ridicule before the rain started falling...


  24. Traci B Says:

    Wonderful post, Lynn. I had a tough day on my new job, and I needed the reminder that hard as it may be, I'm doing what God has for me to do now and it will work out for good. Thanks for that.


  25. Tracy Krauss Says:

    I love that picture! I've felt exactly that way myself at times! Sometimes it just takes a little 'push' ...


  26. Lynn, my entire life has been a leap of faith! As you so aptly pointed out, it does get easier each time as we learn to trust Him more. Loved this post!


  27. lynnmosher Says:

    Debra, thanks so much, sweetie, for taking time to stop by and comment. Bless you!


  28. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Chris, yeah, it's always a scary leap into the unknown. Thanks so much for commenting. So appreciate it. Blessings to you!


  29. lynnmosher Says:

    Adam, yup, it's never easy but the Lord will never not be there to catch us. Thanks for the comment. Bless you!


  30. lynnmosher Says:

    Pauline, isn't that a great picture? I so appreciate your kind words. Bless you!


  31. lynnmosher Says:

    Keith, I never really learned to swim very well. I was a very skinny kiddo. No body fat! I always sank! My feet need to touch bottom as well. Thanks so much for stopping by. Blessings to you!


  32. lynnmosher Says:

    Maryleigh, I should have used your example of leaping. Great story! Praise the Lord. Thanks so much! Bless you!


  33. lynnmosher Says:

    Mike, it is hard to imagine what Noah and his family went through all those years. Huge step of faith! Thanks for commenting. Appreciated! Bless you!


  34. lynnmosher Says:

    Traci, I'm so sorry about your bad day at work. Hope this week will be filled with all good things for you. Thanks for stopping by. Blessings to you!


  35. lynnmosher Says:

    Tracy, yeah, I love that image. Always scary out there on the edge! Thanks for commenting. Bless you!


  36. lynnmosher Says:

    Ceci, you are a giant leap! You are so great at it. Thanks for your comment. Bless you!


  37. Great "leap" post, Lynn! I always enjoy your posts. :)


  38. When I first started reading this, it reminded me of my swimming lessons, especially tackling the high-dive for the first time. Major leap of faith, literally. :-)

    As I read further on, to the part about Abraham, I found it amazing that you wrote on the very things God's been dealing with me about.

    Awesome post.


  39. lynnmosher Says:

    Cindee, thank you, dear one. I so enjoy your posts! You make my heart happy. Bless you!


  40. lynnmosher Says:

    Deborah, the high dive would be totally scary to me. I'd never make it up the ladder! I can't swim very well anyway! I love how the Lord allows us to read in others' writings what He means for our own hearts. So awesome! Saying a prayer for you! Blessings to you!


  41. Scott Fields Says:

    Fear or no fear, there's an important aspect to this picture--that is, making sure that you're leaping where your Father wants you to leap. We went swimming one day when our second was just learning to walk. As I was lowering myself into the pool (in order to take my place in a position to catch her), she walked up to the edge and jumped right in. She seemed to float blissfully under the surface until I could scramble my way over to her and draw her back up.

    We need to leap by faith, yes . . . but inherent in that thought is the understanding that we're following God's will. When we leap only where we want, when we want, we run the risk of drowning. Something to think about. . . .


  42. lynnmosher Says:

    So true, Scott. Hmmm...I thought, though, I made that very clear. Did I boo-boo? Thanks so much for commenting. Blessings to you!


  43. Scott Fields Says:

    Oh, no boo-boo. I just was expanding on the theme, thinking aloud. Agreeing with you (of course!).


  44. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, whew! Thanks so much, Scott! Hope you have a great day with your Valentine! :D