Thursday, March 4

Are You Poor in Spirit? Rejoice!

Photo by INSPIKS

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for
theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
Matt. 5:3 NKJV

The poor in spirit…

What does ‘poor in spirit’ mean? The word ‘poor’ in Greek means to crouch, a beggar (as cringing), pauper, asking alms, needy, and lacking in anything.

‘Poor in spirit’ does not mean poor in spirituality. The one poor in spirit is lowly in heart, convinced of his or her spiritual poverty and pleads as a beggar to God to be replenished.
One who is ‘poor in spirit’ has emptied himself or herself of all pride, selfishness, and ambition through humility, gratitude, and submission to God.

…are blessed…


‘Blessed’ in Greek means happy, supremely blest, fortunate, well off, and of that which is the highest good.

…for theirs is the kingdom of heaven…


The Greek word for ‘kingdom’ means royal power, kingship, dominion, rule, the territory subject to the rule of a king.

Without recognizing one’s lack of spirit, one cannot realize God’s fullness. Grace cannot be poured out to one oblivious of his or her necessity for it. The poor in spirit have the fulfillment of heaven’s kingdom dominion.

The poor in spirit are blessed with the kingdom’s abundance of riches. “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” (Matt. 6:33 NKJV)

Scripture tells us that we share in the God’s kingdom because we are His children, “For [God’s] Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children. And since we are His children, we are His heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share His glory, we must also share His suffering.” (Rom. 8:16-17 NLT)

Are you poor in spirit? Then, shout because you are blessed. The riches of Christ are yours. The kingdom of heaven is yours. Hallelujah!



Share/Save/Bookmark
11 Responses
  1. I think I'm still unclear on this topic. Maybe some more teaching on it?


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Kimberly, Thanks for always keeping me on my toes. I posted this elsewhere and probably should have expanded it here. I was pressed for time and now, I wish I had used something else.

    I think when we are in some conflict or dire circumstance, we realize how much we need the Lord to fill us. Our spirits beg for His presence. It is when we are emptied of self and desire Him above all else that we are blessed with the fullness of the kingdom.

    I don't know if that helps. I'm so sorry I left you confused. Please forgive me.

    I so appreciate you. Love you!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    i love this 'blessed are the poor in spirit for they shall see God' be blessed Lynn


  4. A beautiful paradox! Great post, Lynn.


  5. mmmm I liked this post, so good. I like how you give definitions to the words, it helps it all come alive!!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Jesusfreak, Thank you so much for taking time to visit and comment. I deeply appreciate it. Blessings to you!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, dear Stephanie! Makes my heart happy to know you've stopped by. Be blessed!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Hello, JustMe! So thankful to have you visit. I love looking up the words. The definitions hold a treasure trove of info to help us understand scripture. Blessings to you!


  9. Oh dear I really needed this little reminder! Such a blessing how God works in our lives and provides for our needs...


  10. Cherie Hill Says:

    Praise God! He is MORE than enough!
    In Him,
    Cherie


  11. Anonymous Says:

    Wow, I was just listening to a song this week with those words in it. I've known the scripture forever, but began to wonder just what "poor in spirit" meant. I found your blog through a mutual friend and I now know it was the Lord.

    Thanks for the insight. I'll never question that phrase again!!