Monday, March 8

Balcony People


Have you ever thought about what people would say about you at your funeral?

Today, I went to a funeral. A very precious friend’s husband died.

As I sat and listened to the trembling voices, soaked in tears, and the preacher’s words of tribute, I heard the same reiteration of accolades and honor. My friend’s husband was a special man who had suffered a massive stroke over ten years ago.

After many struggles to adjust to barely being able to take care of himself and to make himself understood, he finally made peace with his bodily condition and praised the Lord the rest of his days. From his wheelchair, he touched many people with his worship and with his deep love and care for his family and others. He was a true encouragement to all who knew him.

With his dying breath, he praised the Lord…with his hand raised to heaven. He will be sorely missed. He was a balcony person.

Balcony people are upstanding people, encouragers who…

*are kind, caring, and giving
*draw others up to greater heights
*compliment and complement others
*build others to attempt notable tasks
*instill others with belief in themselves
*cheer and clap for others when they are down.

They are tank refillers. They fill our hearts’ empty reservoirs with words that offer comfort, peace, love, and care.

We have a whole bevy of balcony people, those leaning over the brink of heaven to cheer us on. “Do you see what this means—all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on?” (Heb. 12:1a Msg)

*David and Jonathan were balcony people for each other.
*Barnabas was a balcony person. He introduced Paul to the other apostles.
*Paul was a balcony person for innumerable people. He wrote to the Thessalonian church that he had sent Timothy, “our brother and fellow worker, God’s minister, to visit you to strengthen your faith and encourage you and to keep you from becoming fainthearted in all the troubles you were going through.” (1 Thess. 3:2a TLB)

Everyone needs a balcony person at one time or another, one who will come alongside of us to lend an ear for listening, a shoulder for crying, a boost when down, or a clap when lacking courage.

Do you have a balcony person in your life? One who cheers you on, who lifts you up when you are down?

Will others at your funeral say you were a balcony person to them?



Share/Save/Bookmark
7 Responses
  1. Lee Hiller Says:

    My beloved fiance' Rick London is a Balcony person he is my greatest cheerleader... I Love Him Dearly for his faith in my Dreams.

    Love You Lynn!
    Lee


  2. Anonymous Says:

    This is great Lynn...always is. I agree...I am now in my mid-50's but in my 20's-early 40's was constantly out there in the world (and in retrospect HAD to have balcony people) to keep my balance and keep going and trying to make the world a better place. Then I got hit with some heart stuff and had to go to the balcony; I was still allowed to work, just not in the lightening fast pace I had worked in many years. Oddly enough, I am happier as "a balcony person" (I guess I am one) in that I love so much seeing those I love succeed and be happy); at times the best I can do is cheer them on, but to be a small part of it is enough for me. I still need other balcony people (older/wiser) than me, and, they seem to always appear when need be. I believe Lee and I are (each others balcony persons) and life is better, I think going through the ups and downs with someone one loves and trusts. Thanks again for this. Rick London PS Glad U met Rich. Very nice man and friend.


  3. I LOVE your perspective on this. I pray I am a balcony person to others (and not a basement person)!!

    Bravo, Lynn! Thank you for this!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Lee, I'm so happy you and Rick are cheerleaders for each other! Bless you both!


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Ricky-boy, You are definitely a balcony person! You always bless me with words of encouragement! Bless you, my dear friend!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Kristen! Thanks so much for your kind words. I started to add a part on basement people but it didn't feel right. I wanted to stay on the positive side. I deeply appreciate your stopping by! Blessings to you!


  7. We need more balcony people in the world. Thank you for being one, Lynn, and for sharing another great post!