Monday, March 22

Semper Fi - Always Faithful!

Photo by Sister72 flickr.com

Recognize the slogan? I’m sure you do. It belongs to the Marines. Semper Fidelis. Though usually heard in the shortened form, Semper Fi. As they say, they are The Few. The Proud.

All military branches are heroes to me. I love them all. The men and women that serve our country, risking their lives for ours, stand tall in my eyes.

But the Marines. There is something a little different about them.

Other military services offer a career but the Marine Corps offers a new life, as they say. And their lives are expected to be exemplary. The Marines’ site says, “Marines are held to the highest standards, ethically and morally. Respect for others is essential. Marines are expected to act responsibly in a manner befitting the title they’ve earned.”

They are on duty 24/7, every day of the year, on base or off base, in uniform or out if it and are to act with decorum, defined as dignified propriety in behavior, speech, and dress.

Their dress regulations say, “Marines may well be associated and identified with the Marine Corps even when not wearing a uniform. Therefore when civilian clothing is worn, Marines will ensure that their dress and personal appearance are conservative and commensurate with the high standards traditionally associated with the Marine Corps. No eccentricities of dress will be permitted.”

Even their uniform, the dress blues, projects a special image.

Their watchwords are loyalty, honor, courage, and commitment. Semper Fi, as one site says, voices “loyalty and commitment to their Marine comrades-in-arms.” Therefore, in combat, Marines never leave a wounded comrade behind.

Officers.marines.com says, “Semper Fidelis means Marines are “Always Faithful” to the country, the Marine Corps, and each other. Our nation entrusts us with its young men and women and we respond with an unbreakable commitment, in combat and in life.”

So, what does ‘faithful’ mean? The dictionaries say that it means…

* loyal, constant
* reliable, trusted
* full of faith, believing
* consistent with truth or actuality
* steadfast in affection or allegiance
* true to the facts, to a standard, or to an original
* showing a strong sense of duty or responsibility
* a faithful worker, true to one’s word, promises, vows, etc.
* adhering firmly and devotedly, as to a person, faith, cause, duty, or idea

So, are we, as Christians, as faithful as the Marines? Do we thump out chests with our fists and say, “Semper Fi” to our Christian comrades-in-arms?

Are we...

* loyal
* reliable
* devoted
* constant
* steadfast
* consistent
* responsible
* true to our word?

Are we faithful in our…

* work
* wealth
* witness
* worship
* wedding vows?

Are we faithful to our heavenly country, being quality citizens? Are we faithful to each other? Are we faithful in our behavior, speech, and dress, 24/7? Do we keep the highest standards, ethically and morally?

Are we committed to our Christian comrades-in-arms? Do we have an attitude of unbreakable commitment, in combat and in life, so that we do not leave our wounded brothers and sisters behind when they are in a battle? Are we courageous and disciplined warriors in our efforts to fight off the enemy?

Do we long to hear, “Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.” (Matt. 25:21 NKJV)

So, are you…the few? The proud? Always faithful? Semper fi!


I’m honored to be a part of the One Word Blog Carnival. Please visit Bridget Chumbley’s site to read the wonderful blog entries for “faithfulness.” Also at Chatting at the Sky, Tuesdays Unwrapped.
Share/Save/Bookmark
28 Responses
  1. Your sentence, "Therefore, in combat, Marines never leave a wounded comrade behind" reminded me of those times when we have a choice to either walk away or help a lost or wounded soul as a Christian. Especially when life has been really tough for so many hurting individuals, I believe your post is a wonderful reflection of what God has put on this earth for- to help one another.


  2. Joyce Says:

    I absolutely love the analogy...my dad was a Marine and also a faithful follower of God.

    This one definitely got me thinking today!


  3. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks, sweetie! I love that part also. Sometimes, we shoot our wounded, leaving them by the roadside. We don't care. If we are Christ-like, we are to care, as the good Samaritan, to do what we can for a hurting brother or sister in Christ. Blessings to you!


  4. Billy Coffey Says:

    God bless the Marines, every single one of them. Love the parallels you make here, Miss Lynn.


  5. Glynn Says:

    My older brother was a Marine -- and it was likely one of the best experiences he could have had in his (then) young life. Never had I seen him so steadfast as when he was in the Marine Corps. Good post.


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Billy-boy! Thanks so much for your kind words! I appreciate it, coming from my hero! Be blessed!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Glynn, Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. I am honored. There really is something special about the Marines, isn't there? I'm sure you are very proud of your brother. Blessings to you!


  8. Lisa Jordan Says:

    OOO-RAH!

    I can't do the devil dog grunt the way my husband can, but hopefully you get the point. I married a Marine, so the USMC is embedded deeply in my heart. Now I'm humming "From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli..."

    Thanks for such a beautiful post!


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Awesome, Lisa! I'm sure you are very proud of hubby. Tell him hubs and I said thank you! Thanks for reading and commenting! Makes my heart very happy. And now that you mentioned it, the song will be stuck in MY head all day! LOL! Blessings to you and hubby!


  10. My dear Lynn, this essay reminded me of an article I wrote for my blog about our failure to represent Christ the way the Marines represent the Corps. If you want to read it, link to http://passionateforthegloryofgod.blogspot.com/2009/06/grand-opportunity.html.

    Thank you for reminding me of my heritage.

    Be blessed,

    Lynnda


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Lynnda! That was a marvelous post. I wish I had been there. How wonderful! Thank you for sharing the link with me. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Blessings to you!


  12. Anonymous Says:

    Great post and analogy, Lynn. A wonderful example of faithfulness that gives us a high standard to follow in our own lives. Thank you.


  13. katdish Says:

    I loved this post. The marines truly are the few and the proud.

    I also love that you're the only one who can get away with calling Billy Coffey "Billy-boy". Snort!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, Bridget! I truly treasure your comment. So honored you dropped by! Blessings to you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL! Kat, that's what happens when you get to be old and a grandmother! You can get away with name-calling! LOL! I'm so happy you took time to visit! Thank you! Be blessed!


  16. Lovely post, Lynn! What a great comparison between Marines and Christians. We could certainly take a few pointers from them in living our lives.


  17. Hi Lynn, I am Canadian and we do not have 'Marines' in our service. I grew up in a military household though -- and I always remember, living on base in Germany -- as you walked off base there was a full -length mirror at the guardhouse. On it were inscribed the words. "The person you see here represents your country. Be a proud Canadian. Act appropriately."

    Great post. Thank you!

    Louise


  18. Sheila Deeth Says:

    Nice piece, and I love JoAnne's analogy.


  19. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, sweet Connie! Always blesses my heart to see you! Bless you!


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Louise! So glad to have you visit. I love that saying! Thanks so much for sharing it. May the Lord bless you!


  21. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Sheila! So good to see you! Hope all is well with you. Thank so much for stopping by. Blessings to you!


  22. "Are we faithful to our heavenly country?"

    That's where our true citizenship is, isn't it?

    Wow. I want to be a Marine for Jesus!

    Thanks, Lynn.


  23. "Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things ..."

    When I weary, thoughts of one day hearing those words keep me faithful.

    Thank you for honoring those who protect our freedom with blood.


  24. Candy Says:

    The picture on this post gave me goose bumps - what faithful servants our men in uniform are. Beautiful analogy!


  25. Great stance lynn,
    God always rewards faithfulness which is borne out of obedience like Abraham did: this qualified him to be a friend of God. Keep on scribbling.


  26. Rachel Says:

    Wonderful post and a great reminder to us all to live with such passion and committment.

    Rachel


  27. Ernest Says:

    Relevant post. I served in the British Army for 43 Years until retirement last August.

    US and UK Forces have operated together in two world wars, in Iraq and now Afghanistan - the UK Royal Marines have a close affiliation with the US Marine Corps.

    Service is given voluntarily and becomes a whole life choice. The standards expected are different and higher than, may be expected in Civil Life.

    There is an enormous amount of faith and trust in comrades, belief that what you are doing is making a difference to peace and security.

    The Military is a place where faith is found, not explicitly, but at a deep profound level - and military chaplains are widely respected, accepted and do vital work in maintaining morale. In the UK forces they are unarmed, therefore, reliant on those around them to protect them. This is unique to them.

    My Corps motto was "Animo Et Fide" (Loyalty and Fidelity).


  28. Nikole Hahn Says:

    Semper Fi! I try in every way. I learn every time I fall that He'll pick me up, dust me off, and I can keep going with a lesson learned tucked in my heart. When unpleasant people cross my path, I try to remember the higher road and now Semper Fi!