Friday, October 24

The Mic's On!


Years ago, in another church, where we were members, our pastor told us about a very funny yet embarrassing experience that happened to him.

At his previous church, he tended to fiddle around with the volume on his lapel mic, so the sound crew set the volume and put a piece of tape over the knob to keep him from fooling with it. On dedication day of the new sanctuary, the preacher got “wired,” put on his special robe for the day, and headed out from the old building to the new one.

Only one thing…he forgot the mic was turned on!

As the members sat waiting in the new sanctuary, they heard voices over the PA system. They heard the preacher’s footsteps and his voice as he greeted others. The preacher’s wife, recognizing what was happening and realizing her husband’s routine, made a mad dash for the door to run interference. But she never made it and the preacher continued on with his routine. Entering the men’s restroom, he took care of his bodily function…and flushed!

When he finally entered the sanctuary, he was greeted by a congregation of smiling faces. He didn’t find out until later. Poor man!

As this memory made a recent visitation to my brain, and after giggling for a while, I started thinking about the repercussions of what would happen if we all were “wired” with a hot mic attached to us so everyone could hear our every word and footstep.

What would others hear? Who would suffer from our words we thought were said behind their backs? Would our children overhear us say things we wouldn’t say in front of them? Where would our footsteps take us that we wouldn’t want others to know?

Unfortunately, we speak with a double tongue. We say one thing to others and then walk in another direction. We can compare this to the word ‘antipodal,’ which means with opposite feet, diametrically opposed, opposite beliefs, exactly contrary, as if to “talk out of both sides of your mouth,” (Prov. 4:24 Msg) as Solomon said.

We don’t realize what we are doing. Job asked, “Is there wrong on my tongue? Cannot my taste discern what is destructive?” (Job 6:30 AMP) Apparently not. Talk and walk don’t match up!

Paul told Titus, “Your conversation should be so sensible and logical that anyone who wants to argue will be ashamed of himself because there won’t be anything to criticize in anything you say!” (Titus 2:8 TLB) Or the way…or where…you walk!

Is your conversation above reproach? Is your walk? What sounds would your hot mic pick up?

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
18 Responses
  1. Something similar happened in our church, years ago, and I have heard more than once about it! Thanks for the great reminder that we should talk and walk in a manner pleasing to the Lord and above reproach. Thinking about that imaginary "hot mic" is a good way to remember!


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks for your comment, Connie! You make my heart glad on a rainy, yucky day! Be blessed...


  3. Good word Lynn, the bible says that with the same mouth we curse and bless, it is really weird if you think about it. We must learn to put that bit in our own mouth :)


  4. Meridith Says:

    OUCH!!! I believe those are my toes you are stepping on!! But I sure did need it!!

    Thank you for this reminder... (((hugs)))


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Marja! I always appreciate your comments. It still baffles me how sweet and sour can come out of the same mouth! Blessings, sweet friend!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Meridith, I think I always write and aim at myself. Others just seem to get caught in my wake. LOL! Thanks for commenting! Blessings to you...


  7. Terra Says:

    That is a wonderful goal, to make all of my conversations as if "on mic". Then there are our unworthy thoughts also, which are "on mic" to our Savior.


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Terra, You're absolutely right. Oh, to be holy in both!


  9. Deb Burton Says:

    Along the same lines, my daughter just got her driver's permit. Do you know how nerve-wracking it is to have been a driver for as long as I have and hear my daughter tell me, "That's illegal mom" or "That's not how my driver instructor said it should be done." Talk about matching my 'talk' with my 'walk'!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL! Sometimes it comes back to bite us, doesn't it? I'll pray for your newly motorized daughter! Thanks for reading and commenting! I appreciate it. Be blessed...


  11. As always, wonderful insight delivered in language that allows us to understand and apply to our daily walk. Thanks


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow! Thank you, Barb! I think that's one of the nicest compliments I've ever had. What a great confirmation to my heart! Bless you!


  13. I saw the comment you left on my posting 'Do You Walk the Talk' last night so I came looking for your article.

    This is a great story..I love the way the Holy Spirit gets His Word out, he put it on both of our hearts to write on this subject just 2 days apart. Amazing..

    Thanks for your comment..


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you! Love that name...Trophy of Grace! Beautiful! Thanks for reading and commenting!


  15. Wendy Love Says:

    Wow Lynn! You sure got my attention... I am guilty, guilty, guilty! And to think I just finished quoting "Christ is the head of this household, he is the unseen guest at every meal, the silent listener to every conversation." I was using it in my novel to make a point. I guess the pointer should be pointed at me. It also reminds me of that old book 'In His Steps', have you read it?
    Wendalyn


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks for the comment, Wendy. I have that book but it's been so long since I've read it. Will have to pull it out again. I deeply appreciate you leaving me a comment. Blessings to you...


  17. Billy Coffey Says:

    John Wayne once said that the secret to good acting was to "Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much." I guess that should apply to everyone. What a wonderful article. Thank you for it!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Billy! Great line! I think you're right. Thanks for stopping by and reading! Blessings to you...