Tuesday, October 14

Poverty Came to Visit


Poverty kicked in my front door one day and made himself at home. He became an unwelcome resident for many years. Embarrassment rode in on his coattail.

His friends heard of his new home and, like a troop of vultures, congregated in my living room, chasing away all my friends. He invited Depression and Tears to be his all too frequent guests. Hunger became his constant sidekick while Lack and Need were his devoted followers. Deprivation became a thorn in my side.

They all loved to laugh at me.

Have you ever had lack thrust upon you? As the economy has taken a nosedive, the chances of it knocking on more doors becomes increasingly feasible. However, we in this country are more fortunate in our “poverty” than billions of others around the world are in theirs.

Unless you are one who is truly suffering at the poverty level, it is hard to imagine the indignation that others suffer because of their lack of this world’s resources.

This day, thousands of bloggers are posting on poverty, to make others aware of its ugly existence, whether it makes its home in our downtown shelters or halfway around the world in India or Africa.

And whether we have a little or a lot, we are to share whatever we can with others. I wonder what would happen if we did as the early church did, “There was no poverty among them, because people who owned land or houses sold them and brought the money to the apostles to give to others in need.” (Acts 4:34-35 NLT)

Giving is at the very essence of God’s love. If our hearts are filled with the love of God, we desire to give. Giving is its own reward.

What are you doing to help ease the pain of someone living in poverty? Find a great organization and donate. Help out at your local shelter. Whatever your hand finds to do, do all in the name of the Lord!

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
10 Responses
  1. Great call to action, Lynn. I love the imagery at the beginning too.


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, Steph. I appreciate you taking the time to read this. Blessings to you...


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Have you received Paul's invitation in GodLinked for India missions?

    It's so true. The poverty in our country doesn't compare to that in others.

    As Steph said, great call to action!

    (I'm still at the hospital--I can get your site here, and at Mom's, but for some reason not at home! Boo!)


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Linda, Yes, I did receive. Am on my way over there. Thanks for the comment. I hope you're feeling better and out of there soon!


  5. Walk Says:

    It's amazing how much one of our dollars can do when used in certain areas overseas. We have it sooo good here that we don't really know what proverty is. Thanks for reminding us.


  6. Maxine Says:

    I love this, Lynn. I am so sorry I missed out on this posting bonanza about poverty, but I am glad to read yours.


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Terry, you are so right. Just a little bit, sometimes even pocket change, can make a difference. Thank you!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Maxine, I'm sorry. I wish I had thought to tell you about it. It was awesome to read numerous posts. Thank you so much for reading mine. Blessings...


  9. Sita Says:

    Wow, I just discovered your blog and am blessed by your anointed words written so beautifully. I noted that you have fibromyalgia and I popped over as one of our pastor's wives has this condition and she suffers so much...perhaps you could direct me to some posts you have already done on this to forward to her?

    I also wrote a post on poverty when I found out after reading Amrita's blog, Yesu Garden...loved your contribution...
    am adding you to blogs I follow...


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow, Sita! Thank you so much for your sweet comment. You've made my heart very happy.

    I am so sorry to hear your pastor's wife also has FM. Unfortunately, I don't have anything specific that I've written on it. There are two sites that I can direct her to...

    1) http://www.christian-books-for-women.com/ I write a monthly column for them. It's under Columnists on the left. There are a ton of articles, topics, and columns she can read but still, I don't think any are specifically for FM.

    2) http://www.restministries.org/ This site is specifically for those suffering with chronic illnesses. They have a daily email written by those that are suffering.

    Thanks again for stopping by. May the Lord bless you...