Thursday, July 1

Birthdays!


***Well, I guess this may become my annual birthday post. To commemorate this occasion, I am giving away $100. If you would like for your name to be put in the pot for the drawing, leave a comment at the end of this post or in the comment box in the sidebar. May you have a safe and fun holiday weekend!***

As I worked on what would be my next post, for some reason, which I’m sure was the Lord, a detour sign raised up and lead my thoughts to birthdays. Not only is it our country’s birthday on July 4, but it is my birthday on July 5.

My birthday, I can forget. Our country’s birthday, I cannot forget.

I thought about…celebrating our country’s birth day. I know there will be numerous blog posts for this occasion, but, as I thought back over the years, great memories came flooding back.

I thought about…when my parents were alive. They belonged to several groups of friends, but one group in particular had been friends since before World War II began. Most of the men joined some branch of the services. My dad joined the Navy and that is where he met my mother. Dad played the trombone for the Navy band and Mom was a secretary.

This group of friends always gathered for special occasions and July 4th was no exception. After several years of it being held at different homes, it finally settled on my parents to hold the celebration at their home.

This was usually a huge gathering of families with some having four generations attend. My mother loved to go all out with the decorations for the tables. Red and white checked tablecloths, blue napkins, flags, flowers…everything red, white, and blue. One of the men, whose birthday was on the 4th, always shared a large cake with me. He’s no longer with us either.

I think about…the year this country celebrated the great bicentennial and watching on the television the awesome festivities, which included an international fleet of tall ships in New York City’s harbor and the beautiful array of fireworks over the Statue of Liberty.

A wave of patriotism and nostalgia swept over the nation. People decorated practically everything from the front doors of their homes or businesses to their mailboxes and even fire hydrants.

Flags hung everywhere or were painted on. Trains were painted in stripes of red, white, and blue. NASA painted the flag and the bicentennial symbol on the side of its vehicle assembly building.

Commercial products by the score displayed packaging of red, white, and blue. Many paid a fee to use the trademarked bicentennial star. Some the TV coverage lasted for fourteen hours. Disney went all out, even changing the theme of their nighttime parade.

I remember all the celebration but I don’t remember the stories of the pilgrims, the ones who started it all. If there were stories, they didn’t stick in my memory.

So, I thought about…the reason that the pilgrims embarked on such a dangerous journey to leave their home to settle in some strange land.

The pilgrims were a religious group who left England as they had been persecuted by the Church of England. As they were about to set sail for Holland, John Robinson, as the pastor of their church who was staying behind, preached before they left on Ezra 8:21. Ezra 8:21-22 says, “When I declared a fast while we were at the Ahava River so that we would humble ourselves before our God; and we prayed that He would give us a good journey and protect us, our children, and our goods as we traveled.” (TLB)

As they also found their religious liberty curtailed in Holland, they decided to go back to England and set out for a New England. They left Plymouth, England, on September 6, 1620, sailing for a new world of promise.

Aboard ship, they found that the sailors resented their daily prayers, hymns, and scripture reading sessions, but, in the end, the sailors admitted that the pilgrims were strong and brave.

When they disembarked and stepped on shore at Plymouth Rock, they knelt in prayer and held a prayer service. Prayer was the basis for all they had done and all they would do.

I then thought about…those prayers of the pilgrims that undergirded the foundation of this nation and brought about the reason for celebrating Independence Day.

I thought about…
the great freedom of religion this country has enjoyed through the efforts and courage of those 102 people. However, are our rights and privileges as Christians in this nation being eroded? Have prayers for this country ceased?

I thought about…praying as the first settlers did. Do we bend our knees for our country? Do we pray for our President and all who are in authority? Do we pray as Paul instructed Timothy, “Pray much for others; plead for God’s mercy upon them; give thanks for all He is going to do for them. Pray in this way for kings and all others who are in authority over us, or are in places of high responsibility, so that we can live in peace and quietness, spending our time in godly living and thinking much about the Lord” (1 Tim 2:1-2 TLB)?

I thought about…all the precious souls who put their lives on the line for this country that we might enjoy the freedoms and privileges that we do. God bless all of you!

I hope you will watch this wonderful video of Red Skelton and his pledge of allegiance…


Happy Birthday, USA!

~~Happy Independence Day, everyone!~~



Share/Save/Bookmark
44 Responses
  1. Kelli Says:

    Happy Birthday Lynn! and Happy Birthday America! Hugs...


  2. Yes what a great post! Happy Birthday to you and America, love this ideal for a post.
    kim


  3. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweet Kelli! I've so missed you! How are you? Hope all is well in your corner of the world. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Have a great holiday weekend! Be blessed!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Kim! Haven't seen you in a while. Hope all is well with you. Thank so much for your comment and the birthday wishes. Enjoy the weekend! Blessings to you!


  5. Lynn are you really giving away $100??

    Happy Birthday! (But I would have said that without the giveaway!) ;)


  6. Thank you for the lovely post, Lynn. Hope you have a wonderful birthday!


  7. Michelle Says:

    What a great post!
    Happy Birthday to you.
    May you have a wonderful July 4th.


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL! Oh, Joy! Too funny! Yup! So many precious souls have supported and encouraged me that I love to give back! And thanks for the birthday wishes! Blessings to you!


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, sweet Connie! You are always so kind to me! Makes my heart happy! Bless you!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Michelle! I appreciate your comment and the birthday wishes! Blessings to you!


  11. Erin Says:

    Happy birthday, America. It is so good to go back and revisit the prayers and principles that this country was founded on! The Lord has had His hand on this country from the beginning! Thanks for reminding us, Lynn! Happy Birthday!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Erin! So glad you stopped by. It's been a while. I can't remember where you were but I'm glad you're back! Hope all is well with you. Thanks for the birthdays wishes! Blessings to you!


  13. Toni Mabry Says:

    Happy birthday. Loved the post and the video.

    Now I know the fireworks are really for your birthday.


  14. Terra Says:

    God has richly blessed America and I hope we treasure and protect our freedoms as we celebrate another birthday for the USA.


  15. Terra Says:

    Oh Lynn and happy birthday to you too! First the USA and the next day our own Lynn.


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL! I always said I was a dud 'cause I didn't go off on the 4th! Thanks so much, Toni, for your comment! And thanks for the birthday wishes. Have a great weekend!


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Terra, I hope we treasure our freedoms also. I feel they are slipping through our fingers and we don't even know it. Thanks so much for the comment and the birthday wishes! Enjoy the weekend! Be blessed!


  18. Sita Says:

    Hey Lynn,
    Canada celebrated its 143rd birthday 24 minutes ago here! Happy Birthday to you and the good ole USA from whence came many of the missionaries to our island!


  19. Happy Birthday Lynn and USA. July 4th is our anniversary too!


  20. Have a wonderful birthday, Lynn! Hope it brings you everything you're wishing for!


  21. Happy Birthday to you Lynn, as well as to the ol' US of A. I appreciate your patriotism and your understanding of what those who founded this country did to lay a foundation to make it great. May we never chip away at that foundation so irreparably that the inevitable happens (compromised foundation...you get the picture.)

    Great post! (And I'm crossing my fingers on the drawing...it would make a good dent in my airfare for ACFW in the fall!)


  22. Happy Birthday, Lynn!

    Yes, when we looked at our Godly heritage we sometimes become discouraged over our nation's immorality. I want to give you a word of encouragement. Each Christian who lives a moral life in response to the grace and mercy she has already received is a bulwark against the destruction of our country.

    Remember how Abraham prayed to God before the destruction of Sodom? If even 10 righteous men had been found in the city, God would not have destroyed it. The city would still have been under God's judgement, but He would have spared it.

    The way we live before our neighbors matters to us, to them, and to our God. Let us each celebrate our nation's birthday by living a God-centered life.

    Be blessed,

    Lynnda


  23. Happy Birthday, Lynn!
    Your post brought back my own bicentennial memories. We celebrated July 4th that year at a campground by Mount Rushmore! I was in 6th grade and it was a perfect summer for a camping trip out west!

    Thanks for helping me remember that!
    I wish you much cake and ice cream!


  24. Ed Lewis Says:

    Geat post.
    Happy Birthday, Lynn & the Good Old US of A. Hope you have a happy day


  25. Happy birthday, Lynn! What a beautiful time of year to celebrate a birthday. Many blessings to you and all He calls you to in the coming year!


  26. first Happy Birthday, this is the first year I get to wish you one as a new friend, second your stories and memories are great, i remember the bicentenial year, and how it was celebrated and the drama that encircled it, so much of it is lacking today, and we dont pray for those in authority as we should, the bible assures us they are place there by God to fulfill His purpose, not ours....Great transition from current and through the past is superb...Thank you far sharing, Your have brightened my fireworks on this fourth.....


  27. I always loved Red Skelton! Thank you for that video. Wonderful, wonderful post!

    And wonderful, wonderful you. Happy birthday! XOXO


  28. Happy, HAPPY birthday! Thanks for all you do, Lynn.


  29. Red Skelton was one in a million. Thanks for sharing. And... Happy Birthday!!!

    many, many blessings my friend,

    Karen :)


  30. Beautiful post.
    Happy Birthday to you, and I hope you had a great 4th July weekend.


  31. Glory to God Says:

    What a great and informative post. I don't know if you're still doing the drawing, but if you are and this comment somehow gets drawn, please use the money to give to missionary efforts.

    Just as you were talking about the pilgrims coming to America to escape religious persecution, may I add that I have read that these early pilgrims were also coming to America as missionaries themselves. I don't know which groups right off hand, but there were some that came here so that the native people in this land may know of the Name of Jesus. That's what I think began this nation as a great nation. Mistakes were made of course, and things weren't done perfectly, but at that time Christ was the movitivation for why people came here. Praise God for all that He has done!

    The other thing that I noticed was your header, "Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21 NIV It's these kind of reminders that help us to see where we as a people have come from. Just like all us Americans. Thank you for this reminder. God bless!

    Oh, and Happy Birthday to you and to America!


  32. lynnmosher Says:

    Sita, Marja, and Lynda...

    Thanks so much for stopping by and the birthday wish! I appreciate it! Blessings to each of you!


  33. lynnmosher Says:

    Becky, Thanks for the kind words and the birthday greeting.

    Amen, Lynnda! And thank you so much for the birthday wish.

    Hey, Rebecca! That sounds so cool. No wonder it's memorable. Thanks, sweetie, for stopping by.

    Blessings!


  34. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Ed! Thanks for the birthday wish and comment. Makes my heart happy!

    Hey, sweet Julie! Thanks so much for the birthday blessings! I appreciate it.

    Michael, You are so right. Some of that old celebration is missing. Thanks, dear new friend.

    Blessings!


  35. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Snady! Oh, I always loved Red also. Such a sweet man! Thanks for stopping by. Love you!

    Hey, dear Kristina! Thank you so much for your sweet birthday greeting!

    Hey, Karen! Thanks for adding to all my joy!

    Blessings to all!


  36. lynnmosher Says:

    Lynda, We had a quiet weekend but very nice. Thanks so much for being a part.

    Dean, Thanks so much for the added info and the birthday wish.

    Blessings to you!


  37. So it's your birthday, but you're giving the gift? lol! Sounds just like you, Sweet Lynn. Happy Birthday - Again!


  38. Anonymous Says:

    Well Happy Birthday Lynn! Celebrate all month long - and yes, this is the greatest country in the world, God has blessed us and we are highly favored. I have two sons that honor this country with their lives as US military men, one is a US Marine (did 2 tours in Iraq), the other is Army Airborne (on his 6th tour over there right now). My husband was in the Marine Corps too, and is retired military and now a Colorado Springs policeman, but fortunately, never had to fight in a war. God is so good to all of us. I can't begin to count my reasons to rejoice.
    Seriously? You're giving away $100??? Shouldn't we be giving to you? It's YOUR birthday! <3 God bless you always.


  39. lynnmosher Says:

    Donna, Thank you, sweetie! You're such a dear! Bless you!


  40. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, my, Helen! What wonderful heroes you have in your family! Awesome! Please give them a big "thank you" from me! Their service truly appreciated. And thank you so much for the birthday wishes! Blessings to you!


  41. Christi S Says:

    oh, but your words have convicted me...I am guilty of complaining about things in our great country that I dislike, but not praying over them. I admit to criticizing our President instead of asking God to guide Him, even if he doesn't ask for God's guidance. Miracles can be done through our imploring to God on behalf of our country! Thank you for this reminder!


  42. lynnmosher Says:

    Christi, Thank you so much for your comment. I deeply appreciate it. Bless you!


  43. M. L. Archer Says:

    I missed this the first time...so I signed up to have your blog sent to my e-mail. I always like your posts.
    I haven't seen that tape of Red Skeleton in ages! It was a different time then, eh? Well, i said Happy Birthday a lot earlier, but I 'll say it again...I sure am glad you were born! and thanks for the great idea about U.K.!


  44. Brandy Brow Says:

    Happy belated birthday, Lynn. My gram's birthday was on the other side of Independence day, July 3. Blessings, friend.