Monday, July 26

Chip Off the Ol' Block!


“So God created man in His own image, in the image of
God He created him; male and female He created them.”
Gen. 1:27 NIV

The Father says we are His family, His sons and daughters: “I will be a Father to you, and you will be sons and daughters to Me, says the Lord Almighty.” (2 Cor. 6:18 RGT)

Created in our heavenly Father’s image, we become His children through the shed blood of Jesus and indwelling of the Holy Spirit, just as the disciple John tells us, “As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.” (John 1:12 NKJV)

Matthew Henry said, “A sanctified soul bears the image of God, as the child bears the image of the father.”

Are you a parent? Do you have sons and/or daughters? Who do they look like? Who do they act like?

Do they say of your child, “The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree”? Or “He’s a chip off the old block”? Or “She’s the spitting image of her mother.” What do they mean? They mean he is just like his father, and she is just like her mother. Just a smaller version.

When you look at your child, do you see yourself, your spouse, or some other family member? Does your child have your eyes, your fingers, your build, your hair, your nose, your toes, your mouth, or does he or she have your mannerisms, talents, same interests, and so on? Then that child is like you, in the same manner, the same character.

Does your little boy follow Daddy around like a little shadow, wanting to imitate and pattern everything after his father – to walk like him, talk like him, act like him? Does your little girl dress up and pretend she’s grown up like Mommy? Little kids love to imitate. That’s how they learn.

When God looks at you, what does He see? He sees you as His child made in His own image. Paul said, “Therefore be imitators of God [copy Him and follow His example], as well-beloved children [imitate their father].” (Eph. 5:1 Amp)

So, how do we do that? We manifest the Father’s character in our daily lives, as Paul said, by living “soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age.” (Titus 2:12 NKJV)

Paul said that we also imitate our heavenly Father by putting on behavior marked by “tenderhearted pity and mercy, kind feeling, a lowly opinion of (ourselves), gentle ways, [and] patience [which is tireless and long-suffering, and has the power to endure whatever comes, with good temper].” (Col. 3:12 Amp)

Only by close interaction and contact with a parent will a child pick up the same habits, tendencies, likes and dislikes, and character of a parent. And so it is with us. To learn to be like God, we must be constantly in His presence, following Him around like a little shadow. (Or is that in His shadow?)

The Father desires His children to imitate Him, to listen to Him, to obey Him, and just to be with Him. But until we sit at the feet of our heavenly Father, we will not resemble Him nor our Elder Brother.

Jesus gave us a model for imitation. He said, “I’ve laid down a pattern for you. What I’ve done, you do.” (John 13:15 Msg)

He beckons us, “Follow Me!” But do we?



Share/Save/Bookmark
12 Responses
  1. Such an important message! Oh how I want to bear the image of the Father! It comforts me to know that God's grace covers my humanness. Thank goodness for it!


  2. Dawn Wilson Says:

    A great reminder that a Christ-follower needs to resemble Jesus. I'm thinking about ways I do and do not look enough like my Lord ... yet.
    Great post.


  3. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, dear Becky! I love seeing that beautiful smiling face of yours! Makes me happy! Oh, yes! To know that God's grace covers our humanness! PTL \o/


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Dawn, Thanks so much for stopping by. It blesses me to know your read my posts. Blessings to you!


  5. Unfortunately, I'm a poor imitator. This is a great reminder to put my focus on God and be in His likeness.

    You can find me here today. Happy Tuesday!


  6. Great post, Lynn! It reminds me of that old Amy Grant song where she sings what she wants people to say about her: "She has her Father's eyes."


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Nah, Kimberly! I think you're a great imitator! I see the Father's impression all over you! Off to read your post! Thanks! xoxox


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Susie-Q! Oh, gosh! I totally forgot about that song! I should have made reference to it! Rats! Thanks for the reminder and thanks for reading! Love you!


  9. Great post Lynn, thanks for sharing this with us!


  10. SAHD Says:

    At time it is very scare to think that my kids will be an image of me, i am not worthy of such an honor, Yet even in my faults God has found me capable of Being a good dad to my three kids and a good husband to my wife. Thank You Jesus.


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks, sweet Marja! You're such a peach! Love you!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    SAHD, I'd bet anything that you are doing a great job of raising your kiddos. Because your heart is in the right place. May the Lord bless you to be a great imitator of Him!