Friday, July 9

The Discomfort Zone

photo courtesy of imelda @flickr.com

God sometimes requires me to do something that appears to have obstacles and seems beyond my power to accomplish. Or it is downright scary! The situation lurks before me as a rushing river, barring me from the new territory of promise on the other side.

One of the scariest things the Lord has wanted me to do is write. As many who know me, even a little, know that writing was not my idea. Six months after I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2000, the Lord whispered to my heart to write for Him.

“Ummm…’scuse me, Lord. Write? Me? But I don’t know anything about writing.”

Silence…just the confirming impression to write. Talk about getting out of the boat and walking on the water! In obedience, yet not having the faintest clue what I was doing, I started writing a book on the topic that He led me to research.

My desk chair became my discomfort zone. Sometimes, my torture chamber. Physically and mentally.

Being an introvert and shy, I was hesitant to venture out. It is scary out there. Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh my! Submitting those first dozen or so articles and devotionals for magazines and websites was excruciating…as I waited…and rejections came to my inbox.

And then there’s the road to book publication. It is fraught with all sorts of intimidating gremlins and rejections. I worked on my book for ten years and it will soon see the light of day and have that fresh aroma of real pages!

I don’t think about the scary parts any more. I just continue stepping out into unfamiliar territory. I won’t fall. The Lord is there. And even if I do fall, He’s there to pick me up, brush me off, and send me on my way again.

Writing is now my passion, my purpose, and my permanent project. My discomfort zone has mellowed, except for an occasional uncomfortable lump of rejection in my chair. I’ll continue to write until the Lord tells me to stop.

We all have our easy chairs, our deep, comfy recliners of complacency that keep us in our comfort zone. No matter what name we assign these situations, whether rejection, doing something we’ve never done before, or obeying God in some new area of life, if we do not get up out of our comfy recliners and step out in faith, these things bar us from receiving all that God has for us.

He does not part the waters of any barrier until we take that first step forward, as the priests did at the river Jordan, “As soon as the priests who carried the ark reached the Jordan and their feet touched the water’s edge, the water from upstream stopped flowing. It piled up in a heap.” (Josh. 3:15-16a NIV)

When we hesitate, the view of God’s promise on the other side drifts off in the distance. Sitting on the river bank in our easy chair, we cling to our old ways. Only when we dare to get up and step out into that rushing river does God make His power and resources available on our behalf.

When a rushing-river circumstance enters your life by whatever means, what do you do? Do you stick with what is safe, remaining on the river bank, pushing back in that comfy recliner? Or do you step out in faith, plunging your foot into the water?

Whether in writing or any other area of life, if you never take a chance to forge ahead in faith, the writer of Hebrews says that “without faith it is impossible to please God.” (Heb 11:6 NIV) And isn’t that your heart’s desire…to please God?

The Lord wants to do something new in and through you. Are you too comfortable to let Him?

“Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with My victorious right hand.”
(Is. 41:10 NLT)



(This post is part of a blog chain of writers from Christianwriters.com as we write on The Discomfort Zone. If you’d like to check out the other participants, the list is on the right at the top of the sidebar.)

Share/Save/Bookmark
43 Responses
  1. Amy Sullivan Says:

    Oh, I really liked this post! God has been whispering to me for years, "Write, write...". I have thrown all kinds of excuses His way as to why I won't.
    1. Not good enough.
    2. Who will listen?
    3. Repeat #1.

    It was fun read about your journey. So glad I found you!


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL! Oh, Amy! I was the same way! You will be totally surprised at what God will do if you go for it. So glad you stumbled in my way. Get busy and tickle those keys! Keep me posted on how you're doing. I'll say a prayer for you. Blessings to you!


  3. Linda Yezak Says:

    Beautiful, inspiring piece by my favorite devotional writer. My time to drop the leg rest on my recliner is coming faster than the Roadrunner with the coyote on his tail. Thanks for the encouragement!


  4. I'm so glad you got out of your comfy recliner and stepped into the river! What a blessing your writing is! What a blessing you are!


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL! Linda, you are a hoot! I love that! Too funny! And thank you for your sweet comment. You have truly blessed me. I think I'm going to cry! Blessing to you and on your writing, MPFRH!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Sandy, dear heart, you always encourage me. Thank you for your sweet words. You have blessed me as well. Blessings in return to you!


  7. Wow, Lynn. From reading your writing, I'd have thought it was a passion all your life. You got skills, girl!! I love the way you pen a phrase - truly annointed!

    And you have lit a fire under all too my comfortable b-tt!! Inspiring. Thank you.
    Susan


    ps - while my kids are away this month, I'm getting back to working on my manuscript. I'll be focusing on my chapter "i am the Bride", so any insights you'd care to share would be most welcome. I'd love to include a quote from you, if you're interested!


  8. This is a great lesson. Praise God!

    I too, like y'all, questioned whether or not I'm good enough to write/speak. God reminded me of Moses! Happy Saturday!


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, Susan, thank you, sweet friend. I appreciate your kind words. You make my heart happy!

    Yay for working on your ms. And thank you muchly for the offer. I'll email you! Bless you!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Kimberly, You are always an encouragement to me. Bless you for that! And yes, go for the writing. You are good enough! I just signed up for the emails of your new site. Looking forward to receiving them. Blessings to you!


  11. Lynn - your book has a publisher? That's awesome! When do you expect to have it available for purchase? (God is so good!)

    Be blessed,

    Lynnda


  12. Thanks be to God that you listened and obeyed, Lynn! Your writing is filled with inspiration, hope, encouragement and is a blessing to so many. When God asks us to do something, He provides the means to do it.


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, Lynnda, thank you! I've been laying low about the book until I had some kind of time frame for publication. I'm guessing it will be in a couple of months. Bless you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL! You are so right, Connie! 'Cause if He hadn't provided, I surely would not be doing this! Thanks for always being a precious cheerleader! Love you!


  15. Kat Connolly Says:

    Awww, Lynn - you grabbed my heart with your post. It was beautiful and encouraging. I love the analogy of the rushing river and us sitting on the edge. Not until we take that first step does God grab our hand and help us walk on that water. It brought tears to my eyes. You are anointed! God bless you with His Power and His Favor!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, Kat, thank you so much! I am so humbled. Bless you!


  17. Nina Hansen Says:

    What a great post! You took this topic to a whole new angle and it was so inspiring! Thought-provoking too... thanks for sharing all this! And thank you for being part of the chain! :)


  18. E G Lewis Says:

    Lynn:
    I know of what you speak. i avoided it for years until God finally boxed my into a corner. He has his way of getting you to do things. Just ask Jonah!
    Peace and Blessings


  19. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Nina! I so appreciate your comment. Bless you!


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    EG, You are so right. I would never want to be a Jonah! LOL So glad you finally jumped out of your corner! Thank you for your comment! Blessings to you!


  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

  22. Oh Lynn,

    Your writing is not only beautiful, it's inspiring! I'm so glad you obeyed God's call and were willing to be uncomfortable long enough to be comfortable in His plan for you.

    You are such a blessing!


  23. Great post, Lynn! And great references.

    The Israelites did leave their "comfort zone" in Egypt to conquer Canaan on God's orders and under Moses' leadership (and Joshua's). The more they appreciated God's provisions for them, the more their lives improved. The less they appreciated Him, the more self-centered they became.

    ~ VT


  24. Tracy Krauss Says:

    Lovely post, Lynn. thanks for the encouragement to just listen to the voice of God!


  25. lynnmosher Says:

    Stephanie, You are such a dear! Thank you so much for your sweet comment. Makes my heart very happy! Blessings to you!


  26. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Victor! Thanks so much for your comment. I love all the examples we can draw from the Israelites. So glad you dropped by! Bless you!


  27. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Tracy! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I so appreciate it. Be blessed!


  28. Unknown Says:

    Lynn~ What a blessing you are! Thank you for this touching and poignant post. :) It's nice to know I'm not alone!


  29. lynnmosher Says:

    Nona, You are so sweet! Thank you for your comment. And no, dear, you are definitely not alone! May the Lord bless your writing!


  30. Great post! Glad you listened to God. Your writing truly deserves the title "inspirational."


  31. Lynn, it's awesome to read how your obedience to God's leading resulted in you discovering a brand-new talent and passion that you hadn't realised was there. It's also great how you have overcome most of the discomfort through faith. Thanks for the inspiring article.


  32. lynnmosher Says:

    Sheila, Thank you so much for visiting and for your kind comment. You've blessed me! Blessings to you!


  33. lynnmosher Says:

    Adam, I'm so honored. Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. I deeply appreciate it. Bless you!


  34. sahd Says:

    Wow Lynn, every time i read your writings, my heart is always tugged closer to God,Thank you for listening to God and writing What He puts in Your heart.

    God bless,


  35. Rachel Says:

    I was thinking just this morning - how often what God calls us to do will feel outside our comfort zone because that ensures that we rely on His strength and not ours, and that we remain dependent on Him as we should be.

    And yes we have to step - but it is amazing what a small step we have to take for Him to take leaps and bounds on our behalf.

    Rachel


  36. lynnmosher Says:

    sahd, I am so honored. Thank you so much for your kind words. Blessings to you!


  37. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, yes, Rachel! So true! Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I deeply appreciate your visiting. Bless you!


  38. Lynn,

    This is my heart, too:

    "I don’t think about the scary parts any more. I just continue stepping out into unfamiliar territory. I won’t fall. The Lord is there. And even if I do fall, He’s there to pick me up, brush me off, and send me on my way again."

    You said it all.

    Now what am I going to post in this blog chain when it's my turn on the hot seat? ;o)

    By the way, my blog's address is http://waysinger.blogspot.com. I missed a step in the process. Sorry to make extra work.


  39. Suzanne Says:

    Your beginning with writing sounds a lot like mine. For a while, I thought maybe I was having an early mid-life crisis. But God kept calling me, so I finally began to obey. And He has been faithful to lead me every step of the way.


  40. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Janalyn! I just got back to these posts. I knew you could write your post. Ya dun good! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Bless you!


  41. lynnmosher Says:

    Suzanne, I'm finding more and more like this. So glad you obeyed! Thanks for your comment! Blessings to you!


  42. TraciB Says:

    Lynn, an excellent post. I like your intertwining of personal testimony with scripture. Thanks for sharing some of your journey with us.


  43. lynnmosher Says:

    Traci, Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I appreciate it. Blessings to you!