Thursday, March 17

Heart Murmurs

Heart murmurs…

* are extra heart sounds caused by turbulent blood flow, sufficient enough to produce an audible noise, ranging from very faint to very loud.
* are due to functions and activities of life or of living matter (physiologic conditions) outside the heart.
* are a treatable and preventable condition. If not serious, medication will improve the condition. If more serious, surgery may be in order.

But what if it is spiritual rather than physical?
What then are those heart sounds, from faint to loud, due to conditions outside the heart?

Israel had this heart problem. What was it? Murmuring and complaining. And God was grieved and disgusted with this whiny bunch.

God once said to Moses and Aaron, “How long will this evil congregation murmur against Me? I have heard the complaints the Israelites murmur against Me.” (Num. 14:27 Amp)

What were the outside conditions that caused their murmuring? They deplored their situation. Israel “grew impatient along the way, and they began to murmur against God and Moses. ‘Why have you brought us out of Egypt to die here in the wilderness?’ they complained. ‘There is nothing to eat here and nothing to drink. And we hate this wretched manna!’” (Num. 21:4-5 NLT)

David said that “they despised the pleasant land, having no faith in His promise. They murmured in their tents, and did not obey the voice of the LORD.” (Ps. 106:24-25 ESV)

The results of too much whine?
The book of Numbers should be a red-flag warning to all of us. Because of their murmuring and complaining, God implemented numerous forms of punishment, among them…

1) fire
2) plagues
3) fiery serpents
4) death for the entire congregation except for Joshua, Caleb, and those under the age of twenty.

God chastised Israel, saying to them, “Because you did not serve the Lord your God with joyfulness of [mind and] heart [in gratitude] for the abundance of all [with which He had blessed you], therefore you shall serve your enemies whom the Lord shall send against you, in hunger and thirst, in nakedness and in want of all things.” (Deut. 28:47-48a Amp)

That was the Old Testament, you say. But has God changed?


The English translation of The Received Greek Text says in 1 Corinthians 10:9-11a, as Paul exhorts, “Neither overtempt Christ, as some of them tempted, and perished by serpents. Neither should you murmur, as also some of them murmured, and perished by the destroyer. And all these things happened to those as examples, and it was written for our warning.”

All these things happened as object lessons for us, to warn us against whining, complaining, and not being grateful because of life’s adverse circumstances, that we might not receive God’s discipline. He may use different methods today, but His righteous anger has not changed.

Is a murmuring heart a treatable and preventable condition? Yes!
To maintain spiritual health, we replace the whining that destroys the proper functioning of the heart with the remedy of praise and thanksgiving. However, if we do not work on our heart condition, God certainly will, using His own special type of surgery.

If Proverbs tells us, “Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life” (Prov. 4:23 NLT), and Jesus said, “Whatever is in the heart overflows into speech” (Luke 6:45 TLB), then we need to heed those words, for “He who guards his mouth keeps his life.” (Prov. 13:3 Amp)

All Israel had to do was step through the portal of thanksgiving, but their murmuring, disobedience, and impatience slammed the gate shut, barricading the entrance to God’s promise. For forty years, they lived next door to that land of milk and honey, but most of them never lived to set foot on it.

The wilderness takes its victims while they are yet wandering in their complaints. To live in the Land of Promise, you must step out of the wilderness of murmuring.

Does your heart pour out too much whine or pulsate with praise and thanksgiving?


~~Lord, my prayer is this, “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” (Ps. 19:14 NLT)~~



Share/Save/Bookmark
19 Responses
  1. Connie Doouty Says:

    Lynn Mosher, your blog is so enlightening and encouraging. I thank God that you are using the creative gift he haas given to you in order to further the Kingdom.

    Blessings,
    Connie Douty


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, wow! You have truly blessed me, Connie! Thank you s-o-o-o much. Blessings to you!


  3. Lynn...this is awesome!!! Wow...great reminders...it goes right along with the Holy Spirit of God led me to write today via triumphantvictoriousreminders.blogspot.com...you are lovely Lynn!


  4. Walk Says:

    As I was reading this I had the same thought that Connie had, how in tune to God you must be to write such inspiration day after day. Thanks for your walk, it is an example for the rest of us.


  5. lynnmosher Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.

  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, sweet Teresa! I so appreciate your comments. I shall hop over and read your post! Blessings to you!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Terry, my sweet friend, I am humbled. Thank you so much for your generous words. You bless me! Blessings to you in return!


  8. We too often forget that we should be thankful for everything, the good and the bad. Thank you for the beautiful reminder.


  9. Rachel Says:

    What a GREAT post! And how true. When you truly know God, you know His love for you and that all that is in your life is for a purpose and a reason -- love.

    To complaim and murmur is not to understand/doubt the love of God and the love He has for you. We've all been there - just goes to show we need to contine to seek His face with all our heart, soul and mind so that we can know His love as He desires us to.

    Rachel


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Ceci, thank you sweetie, for you comment. You make my heart happy!


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Rachel, thank you so much for your taking time to visit and comment. I so appreciate it. Blessings to you!


  12. Glory to God Says:

    Lynn -

    I feel like this post speaks to me in volumes. Sometimes I don't even realize what my behavior looks like. And God really spoke to me through this.

    I've been guilty of complaining about work and where I live and have noticed that it has changed my attitude. Reading this reminds me of what I already knew, but needed a kick in the pants to refresh my memory.

    I am going to make an intentional effort to praise God and offer thanksgiving in ALL things. He is most worthy.

    Thank you Lynn for this fresh reminder. God bless!
    Dean


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Praise the Lord, Dean! This is why the Lord has called me to write and why I try to write in obedience. You have so touched my heart and blessed me. Thank you so much. May the Lord bless you in whatever you need.


  14. This is timely for me since I just found out I have a heart murmur because one of the valves is whack.

    I didn't know I had a heart issue before. But now I do, and it's always in the back of my head.

    Just like I need to be aware of a murmuring spirit. And take care of them both.

    Love you, friend.


  15. HI Lynn!!!

    It's been too long since I've visited your blog. I love the new layout (at least it's new to me ;-) Thanks for sharing this blog today. Very encouraging, as always!

    Praying all is well!

    Hugs,
    Kennisha


  16. TraciB Says:

    Excellent admonition, Lynn. I know sometimes I wander in the whineyness when I'm feeling lonely or stuck in a rut. Thanks for the reminder that heart cries of praise and gratitude are what's needed, not heart murmurs.


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Sandra. And I'll be praying for you!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweet Kennisha! I'm so glad to *see* you! The new template has only been in place a few months. Glad you like it. Blessings and hugs in return! :D


  19. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Traci! It is difficult sometimes, isn't it, to pour out praise and not the whine?! I'm so glad to have you visit. Bless you!